Happy Easter!

Easter is a fun time of the year, but unfortunately, it can also be a time that our furry family members get themselves into trouble eating things they shouldn’t.

Chocolate

The increase of chocolate in and around the house increases the risks that your pet may ingest some. Make sure that you pack all chocolate away high up so that it is out of reaching distance. If you’re having an Easter egg hunt around the house or in the yard, make sure you know how many eggs you hid so that you can account for them all. If you miss some and leave them hidden, your pet could find and eat them. The darker the chocolate the less your pet needs to eat to get toxicity.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs include:

  • Dehydration or excessive thirst
  • Hyperactivity and excitability
  • Diarrhoea and vomiting
  • Drooling
  • High temperature and blood pressure
  • In severe cases, epileptic-type fits.

If your pet has consumed chocolate call the clinic as soon as you find out. If you have the information handy about what sort of chocolate it was and the approximate amount we can let you know if they have ingested a toxic dose and whether we need to see them or not.

Hot Cross Buns

Fruits such as raisins and sultanas are even more toxic to dogs than chocolate! If your dog eats even a small quantity of these dried fruits (and grapes), they can suffer severe kidney failure which may be fatal. You shouldn’t share any of your scraps with your pet but take particular care to keep Hot Cross Buns out of sight and keep them clear from curious sniffing noses.

Easter Lilies

Lilies (Lilium spp and Hemerocallis spp) are extremely toxic to cats and can kill them. The entire plant is poisonous and ingesting any part of the plant can cause complete kidney failure in 36-72 hours. The toxicity may occur by ingestion of, or by mouthing, very small amounts of lily material. This also includes licking of a small amount of pollen off their fur.

Symptoms:

  • Vomiting (often contains pieces of lily)
  • Signs associated with kidney failure including disinterest in food, lethargy, depression and no urination.

If your cat has had access to a lily plant take them to your nearest vet immediately (even if you didn’t see your cat contact the plant or if you just suspect they may have had access to lilies).